As the [librarian] opened the door to the private viewing room, something immediately caught my eye. Placed amongst the zines was a bright pink, A5 publication yelling “Bast”. To the left was a black and white handwritten piece and to the right, a photograph stuck to paper with floral decorative tape. As one title put it, “THIS IS A ZINE. NOT A GLOSSY!”. (Lydia Jackson – BA Contemporary Media Cultures 2019-20: LCC Zine Collection visit)
To ensure that the LCC Zine Collection remained in some way accessible during the pandemic, the LCC Special Collection team gathered a range of sources to provide an on-line representation of the collection and its teaching and learning activities.
This project is a collation of the following elements:
- On-line versions of or links to information about some of the individual [fan]zines held in the collection
- Examples of [fan]zine sessions typically delivered by librarians
- On-going work for the International and non-English language [fan]zine funded project
- Some of our backroom and archived zine collection content not normally shared [on a temporary basis]
This is an evolving and on-going project and we welcome any suggests and input from our community.
We have differentiated two types of content in this site:
- Under the Pages menu you can access a stable set of resources relating to our Zine Collection:
- examples of zine sessions
- information about our International and Non English Zines Project
- an information sources guide
- a set of scanned zine covers
- an index to the individual zines we have posted about.
- Under the Sections menu you can access the ongoing posts about the zines held in the Collection depending on the access status of the items:
- zine fully available online
- related zine websites
- third parties information about zines.
The selection principle for all documents and information fields within this on-line resource represents the extent and scope of what the LCC Special Collection Team was able to retrieve on site before the University’s buildings were closed.
Permissions and copyright clearance has not been negotiated for all the fanzine and zine images. If you are the creator of any of the zines mentioned in this post and would like to amend or remove your work from this online resource please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.